Saturday, February 18, 2012

You're Only as Good as the Company You Keep

Pinned Image

Only recently have I come to know how truly important your choice of friends/cohorts/partners in crime, whatever you call them, really is. It's amazing what a difference it makes to surround yourself with people who genuinely lift you up and are there for you, who empower you and are happy to see you happy. It's hard sometimes to see that "misery loves company," but it seems that people who are in misery flock together and the same can be said for those who aren't. I have to say that the last couple months have been a complete eye opener for me. I wouldn't say that I was necessarily in misery or depressed, but I can say that I was in an overall state of frustration about a lot of things in my life. I felt very much in a rut and that things just weren't going my way and I wasn't shy about sharing my feelings about it. And then the new year came along and although I do not do new year's resolutions, the timing was coincidentally perfect for me to take a new lease on life. I really took a look at myself and all of the things I was complaining about and made it my mission to not feel that way about life anymore, I mean it's only my LIFE we're talking about here right?!? So I made a conscious decision to cut all of the negativity from my life and to change anything I had complaints about. This whole time, the power to make those negative and stressful parts of my life less so was completely in my control to change and I spent how many years wasting time just bitching about it?!?! So with my new attitude and positive outlook I have made it a point to surround myself with people who are thinking the way I now do, who live their lives positively, inspire and lift others up. I have been overwhelmed with the abundance of people who actually are like this and how amazing it makes you feel!! It makes you want to be amazing and inspiring, supportive and uplifting!!! And I am!! Along with this though I have noticed some people fading more into the background...I am not saying this as in, "we are no longer friends" or "they're negative" or "I can't hang out with them anymore," but I did notice a difference. My only guess is that the idea of misery loving company is true...maybe now that I'm not complaining too, it's annoying to talk to me, I know I often get annoyed by obnoxiously happy people, but there is nothing obnoxious about it, it's simply honest. I would hope that anyone who has noticed any change in me whatsoever would be close enough to me to want to be right there with me. It sounds cliche and easier said than done, I know. But literally once I had it in my head that I was gonna do it, I did it and it was ridiculously simple. If nothing else, I want anyone who is caught in a constant state of complaining to find their way to this change too and I am all for helping them get there. I don't want people to fade because we don't complain together anymore, I want us all to be there for each other and lift each other up GENUINELY!!! No back-handed comments and no secret resentments. Just friends having fun and being happy for the things going on each other's lives. I used to be no stranger to down-playing someone's happiness because truthfully, sometimes it makes you feel "smaller" and wanting more to hear that someone got something you didn't. But then I came to the realization that there is no reason not to be happy for others...AT ALL!!! Have you ever thought about the times you may have deliberately ignored someone else's good news because you were in some way "jealous" of their success?!?! Think about what they got though...did you really want it?!? I don't know about you, but there has been many a time I have heard good news and it is definitely something I am happy for someone else for and glad it's their news and not mine!!! And whether it's something you also wanted or not, still be happy and make it happen for yourself, there is nothing to say that you and someone else both can't have the same happy moments. All I can say is that I am in love with being positive and in love with the high it gives me. Being this way and being with people who share the same energy has opened so many doors for me and it has made my quality of life so much better. I love all of the people in my life, and realize that not everyone is on my same path...doesn't mean you're against me, it simply means that I will strive to do what I can to be a positive person in your life and our relationship will proceed accordingly. You can count on me to be genuine, to lift you up, to be positive and to be supportive. I may not be a complete expert on the whole living positively thing just yet, but I can guarantee that what I do know is enough to rock your world even in the slightest little bit!!! I will do all that I can to share this and all of my fellow empowering friends with you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment